Wednesday, July 31, 2013

1st week!!!

Holy cow!! It feels so weird to call this my first week! I definitely don't feel like a veteran missionary, but it feels like this has been my life for a long time, and that this is the purpose of my life. I am sooo happy to be here in North Carolina! My first area is the Cary 3rd ward, well the spanish branch in our stake. It's pretty small, but they're a lively bunch! There are some families here who are so into missionary work! I love them so much! We have also been fed every night that I have been here except for one. Pretty cool. The bad news about that is that since June 5th, it seems that I have gained almost 10 lbs. I've got to be careful... But the food here is amazing! Well really it's all hispanic food, so it doesn't matter where you are, it's amazing.

This week I have been learning so much. There is so much to learn in the mission field. One of the biggest ones I'm finding is to put yourself out there. When I was really comfortable with all of my friends and family that wasn't very hard. It's different now haha. I have to trust that whatever spanish comes out of my mouth is going to make sense. But once I forget about the spanish and just start talking to someone, all the spanish I need comes, and it goes great! But even with english contacts that we make, it is all about forgetting yourself and just talking. Just ask them some questions and get to know them. It is hard, but so worth it.

One of the hardest things I have had to do so far is make phone calls in spanish. Wow. If it's hard to communicate in person, how much harder it is to understand and communicate over the phone. They have no idea that I'm not as good as my companion! But oh well. As well as with everything else, I can only do it by trying. I have seen miracles with my ability to communicate as I have just tried.

So, my companion. He is amazing! Everyone in our area lets me know that I am with one of the greatest spanish speakers and the greatest teachers. It is so true. He is very fun, and very diligent. He has been awesome to work with, and has helped me to reach my potential every day. We have a really good time together.

Investigators and Miracles. Wow. We don't have too many investigators, but we have quite a few. Only two of them have a baptismal date, but hopefully that changes. So really, all of that is a miracle. We have investigators with baptismal dates! One of them is super solid. Her name is Elidad. We just barely put her down for the 24th of August, and I got to invite her...with a little help from Elder Sullivan. After inviting her there was a really long silence. Oh how the spirit was working on her the whole lesson! Her husband Dean is a less active returning member. He was pro as Elder Sullivan called him. He was so helpful to help Ellie make a decision to go for the 24th. Another investigator is Gloria. Soon she'll have a date too. She is from el salvador, and pretty hard to understand. But we had a lesson with her yesterday. She just needs to give up that last cup of coffee every day and come to church. Other than that she is pretty ready.

The hispanic people are so nice. I love it! I pray that this week we'll be able to find some new investigators to continue a good teaching pool. We always need to be finding.

I love it here! I definitely sweat, but I have loved the climate so much and all the green trees! It definitely isn't Utah, but I don't mind being surrounded by trees at all. It is wonderful.

I am so grateful to be a missionary. It has changed my life, because I am learning what to be for the rest of my life. I know that this gospel is true. Like you said Marci, doubts come, but there is no doubt that can't be immediately cast out by the love of God and the truths of the gospel. I love this gospel and the love that God our Father has for each and every one of us.

Have a great week! And don't forget to share the gospel! Get some mormon.org cards and share! Get out of your comfort zone and be willing to talk to someone. No one will be offended that you are interested in who they are and what they stand for. Everyone can be our friend!

Les Quiero mucho!
Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment